Search for:

Board index  »  Questions, help, problems... all about Wikiloc  »  Definition of difficulty

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2019, 19:49 Reply with quote Report this post
Are there any guidelines on how to categorise a trail re difficulty? What exactly does the technical challenge mean? I mean if the trail is accurate and you have downloaded that on your smart phone when would it not be easy?

Thanks

Trails from globalgecko
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2019, 14:07 Reply with quote Report this post
Trail categorization is always based in the author perspective.

For instance, the same trail could be Moderate for one user, and Difficult to other ones.

Technical challenge is the conjugation of different variables and not only related with the accuracy of the track in your device.

You should have into account if the trail requires some technical expertise or physical requirement to be accomplished.

Eg:

- A Hiking Trail where you need to dig into a virgin jungle or if requires climbing experience should not be categorized as easy.
- An Offroad Trail where you need a vehicle with special equipment/configuration should not be marked as easy.
- A 30KM Walking probably will not be as easy for a regular user with children due to their limitation or needs.
- A trail in a location without mobile network coverage, away of civilization or with very variable weather, should be considered

At the end, it's always your decision. ;)

Trails from rjpmendes
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2019, 15:37 Reply with quote Report this post
rjpmendes wrote:
Trail categorization is always based in the author perspective.

For instance, the same trail could be Moderate for one user, and Difficult to other ones.

Technical challenge is the conjugation of different variables and not only related with the accuracy of the track in your device.

You should have into account if the trail requires some technical expertise or physical requirement to be accomplished.

Thank you for your reply. I find "Please rate the technical challenge of this trail, not the physical exertion" a little difficult to interpret. Although I might be able to do a 10km hike which includes walking up a steep hill (not scrambling) I know plenty who would struggle. So for me, in terms of physical exertion, it would be easy and for others difficult. I just am reluctant to describe such a walk as easy.

Meanwhile, I have come across this definition:

Grade 0 Walking on good path. Suitable for the whole family
Grade 1 Easy hiking. Walking on a trail, no use of hands
Grade 2 Easy hiking. Walking on/off trail. Occasional use of hands
Grade 2+ Serious hiking. Between walking and easy scrambling. Hands used more frequently
Grade 3 Very strenuous hiking. Scrambling. Use of hands to facilitate upward movement.

For hikers at least I think this definition is very useful and would not only help those adding a trail and description, but also those looking for one. I certainly would be happier writing 'easy' if everyone understood this criteria. And of course 'use of hands' as you explain, would be a physical requirement.

Trails from globalgecko